- Oil for cooking
- 6 ounces smoked bacon, diced small
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple
- 1 teaspoon dry leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 crushed juniper berries
- 3 cups fresh sauerkraut, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup grated Idaho potatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil in a large soup pot. Cook bacon until crispy. Add the onion and apple, cook for 4 minutes. Add the thyme, caraway seeds, juniper berries, and kraut. Stir to thoroughly mix. Add the stock and simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and butter. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.