- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup crushed frosted cornflakes
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, or 1 cup chopped walnuts, or 1 cup cookie crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Hot chocolate sauce, optional
- Whipped cream, optional
Dip the ice cream balls in the crumb mixture and freeze for 30 minutes.
In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar. Dip the coated ice cream balls into the eggs, then roll in the crumb mixture, coating completely. Freeze for 1 hour. (If necessary, or for a thicker crust, roll again in eggs and crumbs until the balls are completely coated.)
Heat the oil in a large pot or fryer to 400 degrees F. One at a time, lower the balls into the oil and fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the oil and place in a dessert bowl. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and whipped cream, as desired. Repeat with the remaining ice cream.