- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into strips
- Chopped parsley, garnish
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the pecan pieces, bread crumbs, and Essence. Pulse for 1 minute to combine. Pour into a shallow dish.
In a bowl, beat together the eggs, olive oil and remaining 2 teaspoons of Essence. One at a time, dip the chicken into the egg mixture then dredge in the pecan mixture, shaking to remove any excess. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
*Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard or other hot whole-grain mustard
- Pinch salt
- Pinch cayenne, or to taste
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well to combine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. (Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce will keep, refrigerated in a covered non-reactive container, for 2 weeks.)
Yield: approximately 3/4 cup