- 1/4 pound spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound Italian sausage, removed from the casing and crumbled or chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chiffonade of fresh basil leaves
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish
- Sprig fresh basil, for garnish
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring, until browned and all pink has disappeared, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onions, salt, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, until thick, about 2 minutes. Add the vodka and cook until the sauce reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the basil and remove from the heat.
Toss the sauce with the pasta to coat evenly and transfer to a pasta bowl for serving. Top with cheese and sprig of basil and serve immediately.