Piri Piri-Carne Spart
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped, stems and seeds
- 2 fresh poblano peppers, finely chopped, stems and seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds sirloin beef, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 long Melissa's Sugar Cane Swizzle Stix
- Essence, recipe follows
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the grill. In a saucepan, combine the olive oil, peppers, crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer the sauce for 4 minutes and remove from the heat. Stir in the garlic. With a hand held mixer, puree the sauce until smooth. (Alternatively, allow the mixture to cool slightly then transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.) Stir in the cilantro and kosher salt. At this point, allow the sauce to sit for 1 week under refrigeration before serving. Marinate the sliced beef in 1 cup of the piri piri for 3 to 4 hours, under refrigeration.
Remove the beef and make several slits in the beef about 1/4-inch apart, save the excess sauce for basting. Thread the meat through the swizzle sticks. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Place the remaining piri piri in a saucepan and bring up to a simmer. Place the skewers on a platter and drizzle with the piri piri. Garnish with chopped cilantro and Essence.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.