- 1 pound large frog legs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Cut the frog legs in half. Season both the legs and flour with Essence. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Dredge the frog legs in the seasoned flour and shake to remove any excess flour. Add the frog legs to the hot pan and saute until golden, turning as needed, about 2 to 3 minutes each side. Add the shallots and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine, simmer for 2 minutes, then stir in the parsley. Remove from the heat and serve.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.