Summery Tomato and Cucumber Salad
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut in 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons Italian red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a large salad bowl place the tomatoes, cucumber slices, olives, red onion, basil, mint and oregano.
In a small non-reactive bowl whisk together the red wine vinegar, lemon zest, salt, sugar, and pepper until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Add the oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking until completely incorporated. Pour dressing over salad and toss to thoroughly combine.
Let salad sit for 5 to 10 minutes for flavors to mingle, then serve.
Note: Salad ingredients may be prepared up to several hours in advance and refrigerated, undressed and covered with plastic wrap, until ready to serve. Add dressing and toss to combine just before serving.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2006
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller