Tempura Chicken Fingers with Plum Sauce and Ginger Stir-Fried Vegetables
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup very cold water
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Plum Sauce, recipe follows
- Ginger Stir-Fried Vegetables, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Plum Sauce:
- 1 cup plum preserves
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch 5-spice powder
- Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots, cut on the bias 1/4?inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups snow pea pods, stringed
- 1/2 cup fresh thinly sliced, stemmed fresh porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh thinly sliced, stemmed shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, cut on the bias 1/4-inch thick
Lightly coat the chicken strips in the cornstarch, shaking to remove any excess. Set aside. In a large pot or wok, preheat the oil to 360 degrees F.
In a bowl, beat the egg with the cold water. Add the flour and Essence and mix lightly and quickly just until smooth. Dip the chicken into the batter, shaking to remove any excess. In batches add to the hot oil and fry, turning, until golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Serve the chicken with the Kicked Up Plum Sauce for dipping, and Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Plum Sauce:
In a saucepan, combine plum preserves, vinegar, shallots, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and 5-spice powder, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Stir, reduce the heat and simmer until thickened and the flavors are married, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the plum sauce from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Let cool to room temperature.Gingered Stir-Fried Vegetables:
In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar, and set aside.
In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the carrots and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add snow pea pods and mushrooms and stir-fry until beginning to soften, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add the green onions and soy sauce mixture and stir to coat. Cook for another 45 seconds, stirring.
Remove from the heat and serve with the Tempura Chicken Fingers.
Yield: 4 servings
Thank you! your flag was submitted.