- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 12 ounces hot Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped, roasted and peeled green poblano or Anaheim chiles
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) lager beer
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with their juice
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans, or canned beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese, garnish
- Tortilla chips, accompaniment
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, sausage and Essence, and cook, stirring, until the meat is no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, and chilies, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt, and cook for 1 minute. Add the beer and tomatoes, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Remove from the heat and add the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
To serve, ladle into large bowls and sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup of cheese. Serve tortilla chips on the side.
*NOTE: When working with chile peppers, always wear rubber gloves and be careful not to touch your eyes or skin. Wash all utensils and cutting surfaces well with hot, soapy water before proceeding.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.