- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 cup watermelon puree (*see Cook's Note)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup premium 100 percent agave tequila
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier or triple sec)
- 1 cup ice
In a medium saucepan, combine the lime zest, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature and strain out the zest. (Can be made in advance; keep in a covered container in the refrigerator.)
Chill a margarita glass in the freezer for 30 minutes. Place the coarse salt in a shallow dish or saucer. Wet the rim of the glass with a lime wedge and dip the glass into the salt, coating the top edge.
In a cocktail shaker, combine 2 tablespoons of the cooled lime syrup with the watermelon puree, lime juice, tequila, orange-flavored liqueur, and ice. Shake until frothy and well chilled, at least 1 minute. Strain into the prepared glass and garnish with a lime wedge.