Flourless Chocolate Cakes
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup fortified dessert wine (Sherry, Tawny Port or Madeira)
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- Non-stick cooking spray, for preparing pans
- Cocoa powder, for preparing pans
- Confectioner's sugar, for garnish
- Candied orange peel, for garnish
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray 12 3-inch ramekins or tins with non-stick cooking spray and "flour" them with cocoa powder discarding any excess. Over a double boiler, combine chocolate, sugar and half the cream and melt until smooth, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the mascarpone cheese and the remaining cream until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour in the chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Divide the batter among the prepared ramekins, filling them almost to the very top, as the batter will not rise too much.
Bake for 30 minutes until almost completely set when you jiggle the ramekin. Cool slightly and carefully turn the cakes out of the ramekins.
For Wine Glaze:
Combine dessert wine and 3 Tbsp. sugar in small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until larger bubbles form, stirring occasionally with spoon to monitor thickness. Set aside to cool. Turn the warm cakes out into the center of the plates sift powdered sugar on top, and drizzle cakes and plates with squiggles of dessert wine syrup. Serve hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.