Asian Steak Frites
- 1 20 -ounce package frozen French fries
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha (Asian chile sauce)
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
Toss the fries with 1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt on a baking sheet; bake as the label directs until crisp.
Meanwhile, preheat a grill pan over high heat. Mix the ketchup, relish, Sriracha and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder in a bowl; set aside 2 tablespoons for brushing the steak.
Prick the steak all over with a fork; season with salt. Brush the grill pan with oil, then add the steak and grill until marked, 12 to 15 minutes, flipping and brushing occasionally with the reserved spiced ketchup. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest 10 minutes, then thinly slice against the grain.
Toss the cucumber, vegetable oil and vinegar in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. Toss the fries with the scallions, and salt to taste. Serve with the steak and the spiced ketchup.
Per serving: Calories 534; Fat 19 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 54 mg; Sodium 1,342 mg; Carbohydrate 55 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 34 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.