Baked Buffalo Wings With Blue Cheese-Yogurt Dip
- For the dip:
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon skim milk or buttermilk
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the wings:
- Cooking spray, for the baking sheet
- 3 pounds chicken wings, split at the joints, tips removed
- 4 stalks celery, cut into thirds
- 4 carrots, cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Frank's RedHot sauce (or 1/2 cup other hot sauce)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
Make the dip: Pulse the yogurt, blue cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, milk and lemon juice in a food processor until combined but still chunky. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make the wings: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Put the chicken wings in a deep skillet; add 3 pieces of celery, 3 pieces of carrot, the bay leaves, chicken broth, hot sauce, paprika, butter, honey and 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer until the chicken is almost cooked through, about 18 minutes. Transfer the wings to the prepared baking sheet and arrange in a single layer; reserve the sauce in the skillet.
Bake the wings, turning once, until the skin is golden and crisp, 30 to 35 minutes. Meanwhile, simmer the reserved sauce over medium-low heat until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Discard the celery, carrot and bay leaves. Reserve one-quarter of the sauce for serving. Return the wings to the skillet and toss with the remaining sauce. Serve the wings with the blue cheese dip and reserved sauce; cut the remaining celery and carrot into sticks to serve on the side.
Photograph by Con Poulos