Bowtie Pasta with Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to season
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 12 ounces bow-ties pasta (farfalle)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomatoes, and roasted peppers and cook until the garlic is aromatic, about 1 minute. Crush the tomatoes through your fingers into the pot; stir in their juices, sugar, the 1 teaspoon salt, and season with pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat, stir in the herbs, cover, and set aside for about 10 minutes for the flavors to come together.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of cold water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water generously, add the pasta, and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, saving about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
Before serving, add the vinegar to the sauce. Add the drained pasta to the tomato sauce and toss. Thin with a little pasta water, if needed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Divide among 4 warm serving bowls. Pass the grated cheese, if desired, at the table.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.