- pin2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- Pinch dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 4 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cream or half-and-half, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: shaved Parmesan, shredded cheddar or crumbled bacon
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potato, thyme, salt, and broth and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook uncovered until the potato is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broccoli and simmer for 3 minutes.
Puree the soup in batches in a blender or with an immersion blender. Return soup to the pot and add the cream. Bring to a simmer, taste, and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with optional toppings.
Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved