Cheesy Tomato Toast
- 4 thick slices white bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 10 -ounce package mixed salad greens
- Potato chips, for serving (optional)
Preheat the broiler. Place the bread on a baking sheet and broil until lightly golden on both sides.
Whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil with the garlic and basil in a small bowl; brush evenly on the toasted bread. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper; arrange a layer of tomatoes on each bread slice. Chop any remaining tomato slices and set aside for the salad. Top the bread evenly with the gruyere, mozzarella and parmesan. Return to the broiler and cook until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
Whisk the vinegar and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add the greens and the reserved chopped tomatoes and toss. Serve the cheese toast with the salad and chips.
Per serving: Calories 471; Fat 31 g (Saturated 12 g); Cholesterol 47 mg; Sodium 529 mg; Carbohydrate 31 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 19 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay