Chicken and Apple Salad
- 2 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 Gala apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 small head escarole, torn into pieces
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces aged cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- Multigrain bread, for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven (do not flip the chicken); roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165 degrees F, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: Whisk the vinegar, mustard and honey in a large bowl. Gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup vegetable oil, whisking until emulsified.
Remove the chicken from the bone; slice. Thinly slice the apples and add to the dressing along with the walnuts, escarole and endive; season with salt and pepper. Toss the salad and top with the chicken and cheese. Serve with bread.
Per serving: Calories 754; Fat 53 g (Saturated 12 g); Cholesterol 149 mg; Sodium 910 mg; Carbohydrate 19 g; Fiber 8 g; Protein 54 g
Photograph by Justin Walker