Chicken and Chorizo Rice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sliced dried chorizo (about 7 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups converted rice
- 3 tablespoons capers packed in brine
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy skillet or pot over high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add to the skillet along with the chorizo; cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Move the chicken and chorizo to one side of the pan and stir in the tomato paste, rice and capers. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Stir in the peas, reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Let rest, covered, 5 minutes.
Fluff the rice with a fork, stirring to combine all the ingredients. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: Calories 985; Fat 41 g (Saturated 11 g); Cholesterol 207 mg; Sodium 1311 mg; Carbohydrate 89 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 61 g
Photograph by Johnny Miller
Thank you! your flag was submitted.