Clams and Mussels in Thai Curry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 3 -inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 Thai chile peppers or jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Juice of 2 limes, plus lime wedges for serving
- 16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 3/4 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- Crusty bread, for serving (optional)
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, garlic and chiles and stir-fry until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the curry paste and ketchup and fry until slightly browned, 3 to 4 more minutes. Add the lime juice and 3 cups water, cover and bring to a boil.
Add the clams; cover and steam until they open slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the mussels; cover and steam until they open slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper and half of the cilantro and basil. Cook, covered, until the pepper is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
Transfer the clams and mussels to serving bowls and ladle the broth on top. Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and basil and garnish with lime. Serve with crusty bread, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 216; Fat 10 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 38 mg; Sodium 489 mg; Carbohydrate 18 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 17 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.