For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Dried cranberries, for topping
Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
Beat the butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 more minutes. Reduce the speed to low; add the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated, about 1 minute. Add the sour cream and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about22 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle, then gently press the back of a small spoon into the center of each cupcake to make an indentation. Fill each indentation with a few teaspoons of cranberry sauce. Remove the cupcakes to a rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the frosting: Beat the butter and 1 cup confectioners' sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to medium low; gradually add the remaining 2 cups confectioners' sugar and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Increase the speed to medium high; beat in the cranberry sauce, vanilla and salt until combined. Spread the frosting on the cupcakes and top with dried cranberries.
Photograph by Charles Masters