Grilled Bread With Tomato-Ginger Salad
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 1 1/2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 1/4 pounds (about 5 medium) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 to 6 pieces naan bread or pita
- Kosher salt
- Plain Greek yogurt, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly, then roughly chop.
Mix the ginger, cayenne and lime juice in a medium bowl, then stir in the onion, tomatoes and cilantro. Let sit at least 20 minutes at room temperature.
Preheat a grill to medium high. Brush the bread with olive oil and season with salt. Grill until warmed through and lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side; brush with more olive oil. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to the tomato salad and toss. Spread the bread with yogurt and top with the tomato salad.
Photograph by Anna Williams
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay