Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 8 -ounce can water chestnuts, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 4 cups chopped pineapple (about 3/4 pineapple)
- 1 small red or orange bell pepper, cut into chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 small Hawaiian sweet rolls
Preheat the broiler. Soak 8 long wooden skewers in water, 15 minutes. Line a baking sheet with foil and brush lightly with vegetable oil.
Meanwhile, whisk the ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar and honey in a medium bowl. Transfer half of the sauce to a separate bowl and set aside for dipping. Toss the chicken, water chestnuts, pineapple, bell pepper and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large bowl; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Thread onto the skewers, alternating the ingredients. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
Brush the kebabs with some of the remaining sauce and broil until they start browning, about 4 minutes; flip, brush with more sauce and continue broiling until the chicken is golden and cooked through, about 3 more minutes. Serve with the reserved sauce and rolls.
Photograph by Paul Sirisalee
Thank you! your flag was submitted.