"Hot Chocolate" Banana-Nut Oatmeal
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
This isn't just any old oatmeal. It's like having dessert for breakfast. This recipe has got toasty nuts, sweet banana, rich cocoa and just[ enough chocolate chips to give you both healthy and sweet fix at the same time.]
- 2 cups plain almond milk
- 2 fully-ripened large bananas (1 1/2 diced and 1/2 thinly sliced crosswise)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1/3 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- Copyright 2012 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Bring the almond milk, 1 3/4 cups water, the diced bananas, almond and vanilla extracts and pinch of salt to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
Stir in the oats, cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of the honey and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until the oats are fully cooked to desired consistency, 6 to 7 minutes.
Transfer to 4 bowls, top with the sliced bananas, walnuts, the remaining 1 tablespoon honey, cinnamon and chocolate chips and serve.
Cook's Note: Soy milk, rice milk, hemp milk or oat milk are also good substitutes.
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens