Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 parmesan cheese rind, plus 1 tablespoon grated parmesan, plus more for topping
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs (preferably panko)
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 8 ounces baby spinach (about 8 cups)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add half of the garlic and 1 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce and sage; cook 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, 3 cups water and the parmesan rind and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the pork, breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon grated parmesan, the remaining garlic and the remaining 1 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce and sage in a bowl. Form into 1-inch meatballs.
Increase the heat to medium high and bring the soup to a boil. Stir in the orzo and cook 6 minutes. Add the meatballs and cook until they are firm and float to the top, about 4 more minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 more minute. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with parmesan.
Per serving: Calories 350; Fat 18 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 62 mg; Sodium 304 mg; Carbohydrate 29 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 19 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.