Quinoa and Bean Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 scallions, sliced (white and green parts separated)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 15 -ounce cans black and/or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, scallion whites and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the tomato paste turns brick red, about 2 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, then add 2 cups water and the beans. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until most of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Add up to 1/4 cup more water if necessary.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the spinach until just wilted. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and half each of the scallion greens and cheese. Divide among bowls and sprinkle with the remaining scallion greens and cheese. Serve with hot sauce.
Per serving: Calories 394; Fat 15 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 724 mg; Carbohydrate 53 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 16 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.