Roast Pork Loin with Applesauce
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 50 min
- 40 min
- 1 hr 10 min
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 3-pound boneless center cut pork loin, trimmed and tied
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 sprigs fresh sage
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 4 cups Applesauce or store bought, recipe follows
- 2 1/2 pounds tart red skinned apples, such as Macintosh
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork loin with salt and pepper and lie, fat side down, in skillet. Cook until golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; set it aside.
3. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and herbs to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add wine. Bring to a boil and scrape bits with a wooden spoon from pan bottom. Cook until wine reduces by half. Add broth and bring to a boil.
3. Return loin and drippings to skillet. Transfer to oven and roast to between 145F and 150F, about 40 minutes. Transfer loin to a plate; tent with foil.
4. Strain pan juices (discard solids) into a small saucepan. Boil until reduced by a third. Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in mustard. Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep warm but do not boil.
1. Remove apples' stems and coarsely chop with their skin and seeds.
2. Bring all ingredients with 3 tablespoons water in a large saucepan to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are soft, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
3. Pass through a food mill; discard peels and seeds. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Total Fat: 16 grams
Saturated Fat: 5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 30 grams
Protein: 33 grams
Sodium: 240 milligrams
Cholesterol: 105 milligrams
Fiber: 4 gram
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse