Spaghetti With Spicy Scallop Marinara Sauce
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces multigrain spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 1 28 -ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 1 -inch piece parmesan cheese rind
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, sliced, plus more for topping
- 3/4 pound bay scallops
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic softens, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, parmesan rind, 1/2 cup water and half of the basil. Bring the sauce to a boil, then stir and reduce the heat to medium low; simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt.
Increase the heat under the sauce to medium high, add the scallops and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque, about 5 minutes. Remove the parmesan rind, add the remaining basil and season with salt and more red pepper flakes.
Drain the pasta and add to the skillet with the sauce; toss. Divide the pasta among bowls, drizzle with olive oil and top with more basil.
Per serving: Calories 449; Fat 5 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 28 mg; Sodium 177 mg; Carbohydrate 75 g; Fiber 15 g; Protein 29 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.