Spaghetti With Spicy Tuna Marinara Sauce
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes (6 to 8 tomatoes)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 5 -ounce can light tuna packed in water, drained
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor; set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until the garlic is just golden, about 2 minutes. Increase the heat to medium high, add the wine and cook until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add the pureed tomatoes and 3/4 teaspoon salt and simmer, stirring, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 6 more minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook as the label directs; drain. Return the skillet to medium heat, add the pasta and tuna and cook, tossing, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine