Thai Red Curry Mahi Mahi Salad
- 1 13 .5-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 1/4 pounds skinned mahi mahi fillet, dark flesh trimmed
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 bunch watercress, woody stems removed
- 1 Kirby cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro or mint
- 1 handful roasted peanuts or cashews
Preheat the broiler to high. Line a broiler pan with foil and lightly oil.
Skim 2 tablespoons cream from the top of the coconut milk (reserve the milk to flavor rice as a side dish, if desired). Fry the coconut cream in a small skillet over medium heat until glossy, about 2 minutes. Stir in the curry paste and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Spread the mixture over the fish in the broiler pan; broil until browned and just cooked through, about 15 minutes. Cut the fish into 4 pieces.
Whisk the lime juice, sugar, 2 tablespoons water and fish sauce in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the chili sauce and garlic.
Arrange the lettuce, watercress, cucumber, scallions, pepper, herbs, nuts and lime wedges with 4 pieces of fish on a platter; drizzle with the Thai salad dressing. (Or save 2 fillets and some dressing to make Mahi Mahi Banh Mi.)
Photograph by Antonis Achiellos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.