Tropical Chicken Patties
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
- 2 small jalapeno peppers (1 green, 1 red), seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Put the chicken, half of the green jalapeno, half of the garlic, the allspice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Mix with your hands and form into four 1/2-inch-thick oval patties. Put the patties on a plate, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of the red onion, the remaining green jalapeno and garlic, and the turmeric and cook 1 minute. Add the rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stir and reduce the heat to medium low; cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add the peas but don't stir; cover and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until firm, about 4 minutes per side. Toss the pineapple, cilantro, red jalapeno, and the remaining red onion and 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a bowl. Season with salt.
Stir the rice and peas and season with salt and pepper. Serve with the patties and pineapple salsa.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen