- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 (2 by 1/3-inch thick) slices rustic crusty white bread
- 1 cup grated Provolone
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add the anchovies and stir until they dissolve, about 3 minutes. Stir in the herbs, garlic, lemon zest, and crushed red pepper.
Arrange the bread slices on a large baking sheet. Brush with the anchovy mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts and the bread is golden, about 10 minutes. Cut the bread slices in halves and serve.