- 4 cups water
- 10 ounces farro (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion (recommended: Walla Walla) chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Combine the water and farro in a medium saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well, and then transfer to a large bowl to cool.
Add the tomatoes, onion, chives, and parsley to the farro, and toss to combine.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss to coat.
The salad can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.