- 1 cup coarsely ground Italian roast, French roast or espresso coffee (2 to 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh peeled ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Large pinch kosher salt
- 4 cups hot (not boiling) water
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
For the chai: In a 48-ounce French press coffee maker, combine the coffee, cardamom, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, grated ginger, pepper, cloves, salt and water. Place the lid on the coffee press with the plunger extended. Let the mixture brew for 4 minutes. Press down the plunger.
While the coffee mixture is brewing, whisk the nonfat milk in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat until very thick and foamy, 5 to 6 minutes.
For the cinnamon sugar: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon until combined. Set aside.
Pour the coffee mixture into a medium saucepan and rewarm over medium heat. Stir in the condensed milk. Divide the chai among 4 cups and spoon large dollops of the whisked nonfat milk on top. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and serve.
Cook Notes: The chai can also be made in a regular coffee maker. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup finely ground coffee, cardamom, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, grated ginger, cloves and salt until blended. Place an 8- to 12-cup-size coffee filter (for use in a drip machine) into the holder. Spoon in the coffee mixture; slide holder into machine. Pour in 4 cups of cold water and brew the coffee.