Mini Shrimp Cakes with Ginger Butter
- Shrimp Cakes:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable olive oil
- 5 large button mushrooms, stemmed, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 4 ounces)
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 1/2 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Ginger Butter:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- One 1/2-inch-long piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely grated (about 4 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus extra as needed
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
For the shrimp cakes: Heat the vegetable oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, shallots and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots begins to soften, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor. Add the shrimp, breadcrumbs, egg, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined but still chunky. Form the mixture into 15 patties, each 2 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick, using damp hands. Place on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the ginger butter: Mix together the butter, ginger and soy sauce in a medium bowl, using a rubber spatula, until combined. Place the mixture on a piece of plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap over and form the mixture into a log about 7 inches long and 1-inch in diameter. Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes. When ready to serve, slice the butter into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
Heat the vegetable oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the patties and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Cook the remaining patties, adding extra oil if needed. Serve the shrimp cakes while still warm with a slice of ginger butter on top.
Cook's Note: Use any leftover ginger butter to top chicken or fish.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis