Spicy Mint Beef
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis for Food Network Magazine
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 Thai chiles (such as prik kee noo) or serrano chiles, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 pound flank steak, very thinly sliced
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons black soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili paste in soybean oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh Thai basil leaves (or regular basil)
- 1 cup whole fresh mint leaves
- White rice, for serving
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and chiles and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the steak and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Add the shallots and bell pepper and cook 1 minute. Add the fish sauce, sweet soy sauce, black soy sauce and chili paste. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the basil and mint until wilted. Serve over rice.
Tip: If you can't find sweet and black soy sauce, use 1/4 cup regular soy sauce mixed with 1/4 cup honey or sugar.
Photograph by Kat Teutsch
Thank you! your flag was submitted.