- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, from about 5 limes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce*
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 (4-inch) piece lemongrass, minced (about 1/4 cup)*
- 1 Thai chile, such as prik kee noo, or 1 serrano chile, stemmed and thinly sliced*
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- *Can be found at specialty Asian markets
- Serving suggestion: sticky or steamed white rice
Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, lemon juice, fish sauce and honey. Set aside.
Larb: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, shallots, lemongrass, chile, and salt, to taste. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey and season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the meat and vegetables are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the dressing to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the mint. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Spoon the turkey mixture onto the lettuce leaves and arrange on a serving platter. Serve with sticky rice.