- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices crusty bread
- 8 slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces)
- 8 slices monterey jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
Spread the butter on one side of each bread slice. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Put 2 bread slices in the skillet, buttered-side down. Layer 2 slices of prosciutto, 1 slice of cheese, one-quarter each of the dates and basil, and another slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Close each with another piece of bread, buttered-side up.
Cook, pressing the sandwiches occasionally with a spatula, until the cheese melts and the bread is golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat to make 2 more sandwiches.
Photograph by Andrew Mccaul