Grilled Tandoori-Style Lamb Skewers
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Seeds from 3 cardamom pods (1/2 teaspoon ground in mortar and pestle)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons bottled minced garlic or 8 cloves minced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons Indian curry powder
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or Hawaiian sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 wooden skewers (soaked for 2 hours in water) or 4 metal skewers
- 4 to 5 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Basmati rice with cilantro (or orzo with spinach and butter), for serving
- Lime wedges and a side of raita (yogurt sauce with vegetables), for serving
Heat the cumin, garam masala and cardamom in a dry pan, over low heat, until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onion powder and garlic then transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the yogurt, paprika, curry powder, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Thread 4 cubes of lamb on each skewer, alternating with scallion pieces and leaving about 1/3 of the skewer as a handle. Arrange them in a shallow glass baking dish and pour the yogurt mixture over them, (turn to coat if needed). Allow to marinate for 1 hour to overnight, in the refrigerator. Brush the grill with an oiled paper towel and preheat it to medium-high. Arrange the skewers at angle for nice grill marks and grill 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Transfer the skewers to a serving platter and garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
Serve with basmati rice with cilantro or orzo with spinach and butter and a side of raita (yogurt sauce with vegetables), if desired.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.