Beef -The Bomb- Bourguignon
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds rib-eye steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, if needed
- 3/4 cup carrots, diced
- 3/4 cup parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 cup pearl onions, frozen
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1 cup store-bought fried onions
In a nonmetallic bowl, combine 3/4 cup red wine, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons pepper and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Add the rib-eye steak and let marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Cook the bacon in a large saute pan over medium-low heat to slowly render the fat. When crisp, remove to a paper towel lined plate, reserving the fat in the pan.
Remove the beef from the marinade, pat dry and add to the pan with the bacon fat. Cook over medium-high heat, browning the meat on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan, to a plate. Add extra oil, if necessary, to amount to 2 to 3 tablespoons of total fat in the pan. Add the carrots, parsnips, and the frozen onions. Cook until the onions are light brown, approximately 10 minutes.
Add the flour to the vegetable mixture to make a roux. When the roux begins to brown, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze with the remaining red wine and stir in the beef broth. Reduce over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the browned beef, cooked bacon, thyme, parsley and oregano. Adjust seasonings, to taste, with remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and fresh cracked pepper. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with Parmesan and fried onions and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.