Farro Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 cup farro, lightly toasted
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 1/2 cups water, or stock
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, from about 1/4 orange
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups micro salad greens, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds
- 1/3 cup prunes, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup1/4-inch diced red onions
- 1/2 cup 1/4-inch diced tart apple or firm pear
In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, add the farro, 2 teaspoons salt, and water (or stock, if using). Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the farro is tender, 35 to 45 minutes. Check a few times while it is cooking, you want it to be al dente. Remove from the heat, drain any excess water, and set aside to cool.
Just before serving, in a large bowl, toss the farro with 3 tablespoons dressing and transfer to a large serving bowl. In the same large bowl, combine the salad greens with the almonds, prunes, cherries, and onions and gently toss with 3 tablespoons remaining dressing, adding more dressing as needed. Plate the greens mixture on top of the faro and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.