French Onion Dip
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Vidalia onions, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 2 large shallots, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chives, finely chopped, for garnish
- Potato chips, for serving
In a large saute pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and caramelized. Add the shallots and saute for 8 to 10 more minutes, until the onions and shallots are dark brown. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes, then chop the onion mixture into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
In a bowl, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, celery salt, Worcestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Fold in the onion mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight. Garnish with chives and serve with potato chips.
Photograph by James Baigrie
Thank you! your flag was submitted.