- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 hot sausage links
- 1 pound pizza dough
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn
Put a pizza stone or upside-down baking sheet in the oven; preheat to 500 degrees F.
Make the chicken: Combine the salt, cayenne, white pepper, garlic powder, black pepper, cumin and dried basil in a bowl. Brush the chicken with olive oil, then rub with the spices. Heat a grill pan to medium high; grill the chicken until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Grill the sausage, turning, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool, then dice the chicken and crumble the sausage.
Stretch the pizza dough on a floured surface into a 12-inch round. Put on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or upside-down baking sheet; slide the dough onto the hot pizza stone or baking sheet and cook 7 minutes.
Slide the crust back onto the peel. Spread with the pizza sauce, then top with 1/2 cup mozzarella, the chicken, pepperoni and sausage. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and the parmesan. Return the pizza to the oven and bake until bubbly, about 7 more minutes. Top with the fresh basil.
Photograph by Con Poulos
ACTIVE: 40 min l TOTAL: 55 min l MAKES: one 12-inch pizza