Italian Stallion Salad
- 6 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 5 ounces very thinly sliced sopresatta
- 5 ounces very thinly sliced salami
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 5 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto
- 6 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups 1-inch pieces iceberg lettuce
- 3 cups 1-inch pieces romaine lettuce
- 2 cups 1/4-inch julienned strips radicchio
- 1 cup 1/4-inch julienned strips endive
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini, cut in thirds
- 1/2 cup peppadews, quartered
- 1/2 cup black olives, quartered
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
On a small cutting board, lay down a piece of plastic wrap, about 2 feet long. Stack the provolone cheese in the center in a roughly 5-inch area. Layer the sopresetta on top of the provolone followed by layers of salami, basil leaves, prosciutto, and mozzarella. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, place in refrigerator, a 1/2 hour, with a heavy plate on top to press mixture together.
In a large salad bowl, toss together lettuces, pepperoncini, peppadew and olives.
In a small bowl combine balsamic vinegar, oregano, parsley, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil to incorporate.
Remove cheese and meat stack from refrigerator and slice it into 2 1/2-inch strips that are 1/4-inch thick. Add dressing to salad and toss. Decorate top with meat and cheese pressed slices. Garnish with Parmesan.
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell