Kale with Roasted Beets and Bacon
- 2 beets (about 14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 thick-cut applewood-smoked bacon slices (8 ounces), diced
- 1 large bunch kale (about 1 1/2 pounds), washed, stemmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Wash and trim the beets, removing both ends. Place them on a 12-inch square sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle with the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Seal up the foil packet and roast until the beets are fork-tender, about 1 hour.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until medium-crisp (or however you prefer your bacon). Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Increase the heat to high and add the kale, stirring to coat in the rendered bacon grease. Cover and cook for a few minutes, and then add the chicken stock and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar. Stir to combine, cover and allow to wilt for 6 to 8 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri