Lava Rock Shrimp With Honey Chipotle Lime Sauce and Mango Jicama Salsa
- Honey Chipotle Lime Sauce:
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 1 1/2 limes)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch red chile flakes
- Pinch chile powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 chipotles in adobo
- Rock Shrimp:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 ounces rock shrimp (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup cooked rice noodles, optional, for garnish
- 6 lime wheels, optional, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons Mango Jicama Salsa, recipe follows
- 1 pinch chile threads, optional, for garnish
- Lotus chips, optional, for garnish
- 2 lime wedges, for service
- Cook's Note: Lager-style beer goes great with this recipe.
- Mango Jicama Salsa:
- 1 cup jicama, diced into 1/8-inch pieces
- 1 cup ripe mango, diced into 1/8-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup 1/8-inch diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the shrimp: While the sauce is reducing, combine the flour with the salt, pepper, cayenne and chili powder and stir to combine. Add the shrimp in batches to the flour and toss gently to coat evenly.
Preheat a couple inches canola oil to 350 degrees F in a deep skillet and add the shrimp. Cook until golden brown, turning as needed, 3 to 4 minutes. Work in batches to avoid crowding. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Divide and add the rice noodles to the bottom of 2 martini glasses. Top the noodles with 3 lime wheels each and set aside until service.
Add the shrimp to the reduced sauce and toss gently to coat evenly. Remove from the sauce with a slotted spoon or tongs and place in the prepared martini glasses. Garnish with Mango Jicama Salsa, chile threads, lotus chips and a lime wedge, if desired. Serve immediately.Mango Jicama Salsa:
Toss the jicama, mango, onions and jalapeno gently in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes. Yield: 1 3/4 cups.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.