- 1 pound large sea scallops, patted dry
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 cups mixed chanterelle, oyster, trumpet, mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more for serving
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 tablespoons white truffle oil
- 2 ounces best quality Parmesan, shaved
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
Rinse and pat dry the scallops. Slice in half on equator and pat dry again. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and set aside.
Prep all of your ingredients and have them at ready, then start pasta. Cook the pasta approximately 8 minutes. If the pasta is done before prepping all the ingredients, add 3 cups cold water into pot to hold. (Water will still be hot, but will arrest cooking.) Drain when ready to use.
In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add the scallops, cook for 1 to 2 minutes and turn over. When scallops are just cooked, remove from heat and set aside, keeping them warm. Let the juices in pan reduce for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Toss to combine. Add in the reserved scallops and half of the truffle oil. Add in the drained cooked pasta, then the arugula and gently toss or stir to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with remaining truffle oil, the shaved cheese and some freshly cracked black pepper.