- 1 pound (21/25 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 ounces maifun noodles (thin dried Chinese noodles)
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeded and julienned matchstick-size (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 carrot, peeled, julienned matchstick size carrots (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup julienned matchstick size jicama
- 2 green onions julienned, matchstick size to about 1/2 cup
- 2 cups thinly sliced crosswise Napa cabbage from about 1/2 of a head
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 12 (8-inch round) sheets dried rice paper
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 teaspoons garlic sambal
In a large pot of salted boiling water, add shrimp and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until cooked through, but not tough. Set in an ice bath. Slice shrimp in half from tip to tip and set aside. In a small bowl, pour hot tap water over noodles and set aside to soften, about 10 to 15 minutes. While noodles are soaking, prepare vegetables and herbs. Drain the noodles and cut with kitchen shears into 4-inch lengths. Set aside.
Prepare an area to work easily for assembly of rolls. Line all vegetables and herbs in front of you along with shrimp and noodles. Have a roll of clear plastic wrap handy. A silicone baking sheet works well as a nonstick surface to work on, but you can use a clean cutting board as well. Fill a shallow bowl (a pie dish works great) with warm tap water and submerge 1 rice paper round into water for 10 to 15 seconds to soften.
Gently remove rice paper sheet from water, place on work surface. In the center of rice paper, place 3 shrimp halves (striped side down) on rice paper. Top with 1/4 cup noodles. Top with 2 sticks cucumber, 2 sticks carrots, 2 sticks jicama, 3 pieces green onion, 3 tablespoons napa cabbage, 4 tablespoons bean sprouts, and a pinch of basil and cilantro. Finish with 3 more pieces of shrimp, striped side up. Fold rice paper up tightly over filling, fold in ends, and continue rolling, finishing seam side down. Place in plastic wrap and roll so that the rolls can set up and not stick to each other. Repeat to create the rest of the rolls. Refrigerate rolls for 20 to 30 minutes, before serving.
In a small bowl, vigorously whip peanut butter with a fork until easy to stir. Stir in hoisin sauce, pomegranate juice, soy sauce, mirin and sambal until combined well. Cover and let stand at room temperature until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, evenly spread remaining napa cabbage on serving platter. Remove rolls from refrigerator. Remove plastic wrap and slice in half on the diagonal. Place half the rolls on their sides on the platter and the other half on their ends, standing up. Serve with peanut sauce.