Hearty Lentil Soup with Ham and Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 6 cups chicken stock, homemade, or store-bought reduced-sodium
- 1/2 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups cubed ham
- Parsley puree, recipe follows
- Parsley puree:
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in lentils and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Puree with immersion blender to thicken.
Stir in potatoes and ham, cover, and simmer until potatoes are softened, 10 minutes longer. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and swirl in parsley puree.Parsley puree:
Combine garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley in a blender or food processor (preferably small model) and process until pureed.
Yield: about 1/3 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.