Hungry Chick Chunky Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds raw, boneless, skinless lean chicken breasts, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups dry coleslaw mix
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans (such as cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, plus more, for serving, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- Special equipment: Slow Cooker
Evenly season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Place the chicken pieces, onion, carrots, coleslaw mix, white beans, stewed tomatoes, peas, chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, and bay leaf in the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook until chicken is fully cooked, on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
Remove and discard the bay leaf. Remove the chicken pieces and place them in a bowl. Shred each piece using 2 forks: one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, and stir into the soup.
Season the soup with 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste. Garnish with additional thyme, if using. Serve up and enjoy!
PER SERVING (about 1 cup): 150 calories, 1g fat, 570mg sodium, 15g carbs, 4.25g fiber, 5g sugars, 20.5g protein
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse