Grilled Clams with Basil Breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups coarse bread crumbs, toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 sun-dried tomato halves in oil, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 24 littleneck clams, scrubbed clean
- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
Heat a gas grill or prepare a charcoal grill with hot coals.
When the grill is hot, place the clams in 1 layer on the hot grate and allow the heat to open the clams. They'll open gradually for about 5 minutes, then pop-open wide when they're done. Using tongs, remove the clams from the grill and place them in the bowl with the bread crumb mixture and toss together. Drizzle with the melted butter, and serve hot.
2008, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller